Last night was "Would You Like a Lesson?" at Montessori Weaver School. It was an opportunity for Jon and I to see what Ty does on a daily basis at MWS. He had prepared three lessons to demonstrate to us, and he was so excited to get started.
First, he went to his locker to put on his indoor shoes.
Then, he rolled out a rug on which to do his work.
The first lesson was called "Solar System Matching Cards."
He had to place the planets in order from the Sun, then label each one. I am embarrassed to admit that I couldn't have done this lesson. The planets weren't even labeled! Not to mention that I don't know the correct order.
Here's the final product. Flash didn't go off, but you get the idea.
The second lesson was called "Match Sentence to Pictures." He had to lay out 8 pictures on the rug.
Then, he had to read the sentences and match them up with the pictures.
The final lesson was called "6 Square Chain." Here he is headed to gather his materials (all business).
This lesson is teaching multiplication and squares! He was working on his six's. It's quite complicated, but I will do my best to explain it. First, he had to prove that the 6 chain was the same as the 6 square.
Once he proved this, he opened the 6 chain back up in a straight line. Then, he had to number the first 6 spheres in the first chain.
Finally, Ty had to label each 6th sphere in each chain. So, he labeled 12, 18, 24, 30 and 36, which is multiplication. The fact that the 6 square chain is 6x6 teaches that 6 squared is 36 or that the square root of 36 is 6. I LOVE the visual representation of math in the Montessori classroom!
Montessori Weaver School has been such a blessing to us. Ty is engaged and loves learning in this environment. Joye Weaver is an amazing, talented teacher!
THIS is why I love montessori schools! Now I really can't wait for Will to go!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that TY got to go here, and now Maggie! What a wonderful experience!
ReplyDeleteSounds like an amazing school!
ReplyDeleteI missing blog updates!!!!!
ReplyDelete